Advantages of Diesel Engines for Aviation use
- Significant fuel consumption reduction, estimated around 30%
- Opportunity to use the same fuels that propel jet aviation engines, such as kerosene Jet A-1 or JP 8, thus profiting from easier availability, higher safety and lower costs compared with gasoline
- Good suitability for turbocharging with consequent high specific power and capability to keep the performance constant with the altitude
- High torque even at low speed with positive results in terms of gearbox weight reduction
- Robustness, reliability and longer maintenance intervals
- Low lubricant consumption
Advantages of automotive derivative for both light sport and diesel applications
- Beneficial opportunity by a product manufactured in large volumes with consequent great reduction of the investments, otherwise necessary and hardly recoverable in reasonable time, for design, development and production of ad hoc engine.
- Due to the statistically relevant population, very good availability of reliability data necessary for the evaluation of product safety use.
- Opportunity to get improvement from the fast and continuous technological evolution of automotive industry by transferring to the aviation engines the innovations of potential interest.